I know I’ve talked about balance before, but like many other things in life, balance is an ongoing struggle – at least for me. If you’ve figured it out, please send me a template or tips or something. I’ll sign up for your email list, I’ll subscribe to your videos, just GIVE ME THE ANSWERS! And while I’m patiently waiting for clarity, peace, and perfect zen to drop itself in my inbox…I’ll maybe have some soup.
This time of year it’s all about the cookies. Cookie swaps, cookie decorating, god damn houses made out of cookies. You couldn’t get away even if you wanted to (and believe me I don’t). But occasionally you need a break. My palate can only take so much sugar – also my waistline. I mean, I’m totally game for indulging during the holiday season, but balancing that with not feeling like crap all damn day because I’m 95% made of royal icing is also a nice thing.
So here is a quick recipe for a lightened up broccoli cheddar soup that is honestly so delicious you’ll straight forget that cookies even exist for exactly 8 minutes, which is about how long it takes me to eat a bowl of soup. So what makes it light? Well it’s really just about simplicity and balance (that word again). If you focus on a handful of really good tasting ingredients you don’t need as much of any of them to make an impact. This soup has so little going on that you can’t help but taste the broccoli and cheddar right there, front and center.
And maybe that’s where my quest for balance should really start – taking a few stellar things in my life and focusing on those. The other stuff probably falls into the categories of hassle or bonus, but shouldn’t be considered the star players. Cool. Life managed.*
Lightened Up Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- December 7, 2018
- 6 Servings Servings
- 25 min
- Print this
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, minced (or half a medium yellow onion)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped small (including stems – trimmed, peeled, and chopped, should be 4-5 cups)
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- 3-4 C water
- 3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ C grated pecorino romano cheese
- Juice of half a lemon
- Step 1
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the shallots, salt, and pepper and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Step 2
- Add the broccoli, baking soda, and just enough water to cover (I usually end up just shy of 4 cups).
- Step 3
- Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, or until broccoli is very tender.
- Step 4
- Blend in batches using a jar blender, or in the pot with an immersion blender until smooth. Add the cheddar and pecorino and whisk to combine. If using an immersion blender I stir the cheese in and then buzz it one final time with the stick blender – this makes it silky smooth.
- Step 5
- Add the lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
*Clearly this is a farce. Stay tuned for whatever shit hits the fan next week…but for now, Happy Friday!