There are days when I feel like homemade is best, when the thought of waiting for dough to rise or stock to bubble is comforting and appealing. But just as often there are other types of days. Days when I repeatedly knock over my water glass and notice typos in emails to clients just after hitting send for instance. Or, like yesterday, days when I just can’t understand WHERE ALL THE ANTS ARE COMING FROM!
So, I’m not about to reinvent the wheel here. What we need is something fast, cheap, delicious, and comforting when we’re in a pinch. Duh, pizza. But perhaps a different spin on the ole girl, eh? Maybe throw some spring vegetables on there, even something unexpected like lemon. WHAT? Lemon on a pizza? Too far, Madame…TOO. FAR. But hear me out, k? You probably already have a lemon rolling around somewhere, so that’s great. And when you thinly slice it and run it into a hot oven it will transform from abrasive and puckering to melty and jammy-delicious – kind of like you will when your face meets this melty cheese, charred veggie, tangy-sweet situation of a pizza pie.
But here’s the killer tip, which honestly should be the main takeaway – YOU DON’T HAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN PIZZA DOUGH. This is 2018 people. You can pop into most grocery stores and they will have pretty solid pizza dough at the ready for you. You can also go to your favorite pizza joint and just ask for a ball of dough or two. They will happily sell that stuff to you for a couple bucks. If you want to make it from scratch, by all means do – this recipe is my go to. But for those days when “from scratch” is like saying “oh hey, let’s just go to the moon real quick” give store-bought a try – and if that’s still too much…ain’t no shame in that GrubHub game.
Charred Broccolini and Lemon Pizza
- May 1, 2018
- 2 Servings
- 25 min
- Print this
- A ball of pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
- ⅓ C whole milk ricotta
- 2 T olive oil, divided
- 4-5 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced thin
- ½ bunch broccolini, washed and stems trimmed
- ½ lemon, washed and sliced thin
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp red chili flake
- 1 T pine nuts, untoasted
- Fresh basil
- Step 1
- Preheat your oven to 475° F.
- Step 2
- Stretch pizza dough onto a rimmed baking sheet that has been greased with non-stick spray.
- Step 3
- Combine 1 T olive oil with ricotta and spread over pizza dough, leaving a half inch rim.
- Step 4
- Layer on mozzarella, broccolini, and lemon slices.
- Step 5
- Sprinkle with kosher salt, chili flake, and pine nuts.
- Step 6
- Drizzle with remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Step 7
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the underside of the crust is a light, golden brown.
- Step 8
- Remove pizza from oven and turn on your broiler. Broil pizza for 3-4 minutes or until the lemons pick up a little color. Do not walk away from this. It will be bad news.
- Step 9
- Remove from oven and let cool for five minutes.
- Step 10
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve.